Friday, January 25, 2013

Rare Afflictions


Until yesterday, I hadn't been able to focus on a screen for more than about five minutes. It took me hours to pick out an email or two around Christmas, and I've sent maybe a couple dozen messages since then. And as much as I've missed keeping up with you beautiful people, scrolling through Facebook made me a little queasy (the motion, not the content). Thank heavens for Krisha, who read me posts and jokes and comments every day for six weeks.

Today, however, I need to add to the narrative that Krisha has posted. She has discussed in part many unusual circumstances and complications that we've experienced over the last few months. But she hasn't written about the rare afflictions that consume my thoughts and weigh on my soul.

(This will be a quick single pass, because I'm only seven lines in and already my tummy wants ginger ale and my eyes are a bit swimmy, even with new reading glasses, so forgive the typos and melodrama and roughness that should probably get edited.)

I’ve been afflicted since my diagnosis in June with an ineffable calm and confidence that everything will be fine. I didn't ask for this feeling, and I've wondered many days why it was thrust on me, whether it was real, and when it would pass. Other people with cancer and serious illness don't get this—why should I? For six months, it never let up, growing finally into a distinct and profound sense of peace that undergoing this treatment was the right thing to do.

Krisha didn't have it until that day shortly before we left for North Carolina when we decided to spend some time meditating in our church's temple. Since the surgery I've had many days when the feeling abated and, normal at last, I wondered whether I'd ever feel well. But there was Krisha, now afflicted, reinfecting me every minute of every day and reminding me that all was indeed well.

Before the appendectomy that launched this circus, I was afflicted for many years more than most people with health and safety. No scooter accidents, no falls while rappelling, no chronic or devastating illness, no burdens of pregnancy, no major surgeries, no combat, hunger, poverty or serious threats to my physical well-being. For years, I've been deprived even of the exultant relief that follows a good vomit or the sense of invincibility brought on by the passing of a nasty cold or the pride inspired by the return of regular poops and pees after a period of interruption. And now, despite a couple rough months and some still-to-be-answered questions, I have a pretty good prognosis for many more years of solid health. What do I do with all that?

Every day for weeks now I’ve been plagued by kindness and generosity and miraculous interventions of strangers and kin who have made things easy, comfortable, bearable in tough moments, hopeful on dark days.

How many of you have ever been serenaded—just for you—with Christmas carols by dozens of young children and gotten a hundred hugs to send you on your way? How many of you have ever papered a wall with hand-drawn cards from those children and read their love and wishes dozens of times a day? (And enjoyed some crazy hallucinations when those drawings mixed with your pain meds?) Rare indeed.

How many of you in Los Angeles have had people offer—OFFER, with a smile!—to take you to LAX at 5:00 a.m. and pick you up at rush hour? Rarer still.

And then to be greeted by old friends and new strangers in an unfamiliar town, who joined with family to smother me daily with attention and care.

A mother who threatens the nurses that she'll go all Shirley-MacLaine-in-Terms-of-Endearment on them if they don't fix stuff—and gets a laugh and the attention needed. And a mother-in-law backing up the mother! Fearsome rare.

A brother who spent the best week of the holiday season fussing over my needs in the hospital and making my move to a recovery house possible, and even enjoyable.

Another brother and niece and nephew who drove five hours each way during those festive days to crowd my hospital room for forty-eight hours with cheer and drawings and hugs.

Siblings on both sides of the family who, it seems, have had nothing better to do than overwhelm me by calling, mailing cards and presents, writing messages, making arrangements, sending money, handling needs, spreading cheer and making mix CDs that I'm now addicted to. Too much to bear.

Friends who drive hours out their way to look in on my bloated, cranky, nauseated carcass, even for a few minutes, leaving me with an undeserved sense of love and connection to a big world of concern.

A relative stranger who shares my disease and my cure and offers her food, car, daily attention to my and my wife's every need, and constant assurance that, yes, I will one day feel better again.

On top of all that, I’ve been unable to avoid the constant barrage of meals, messages, calls, visits, gifts, encouragement, treats and the best mojo the universe can offer—prayers, meditations, fasting and who knows what other incantations and oblations from Mormons, Catholics, Baptists, Jews, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, New Agers, agnostics, atheists and various other persuasions on every continent.

And then last night I lost precious sleep, just couldn't get to bed, because I got sucked into hundreds of messages sent to me over the last weeks. I'm sure Krisha read them to me at some point, but, honestly, the two weeks after the surgery are pretty blurry. So I'm reading them all now, unable to stop and go to bed—and I’m still far from 100%, dammit—so the plague grows.

Finally, the intense affliction I haven't been able to shake for even a second, day or night, for all these months: my wife. I can't even sneak out for a 4 a.m. pee without hearing "What can I do for you?" whispered from under the cocoon of blankets on the other side of the bed. At my side in the hospital, at every appointment and treatment, chewing out surgeons and nurses, feeding, cleaning, wheelchairing, note-taking, massaging, driving, worrying, investigating, encouraging, blessing, kidnapping me and making me walk on the beach, letting me be a big baby for two months, removing any reason to my whines, her loving eyes and lips smiling the whole time, just to rub it in good. Why do I deserve all that?

I'm at a complete loss for how to escape these afflictions that have both saved my life and burdened me with an eternal, unpayable debt of gratitude and responsibility. I’ll stack up my plagues against anyone else’s, and it will be obvious that I am the one who has been most rarely afflicted.

To all of you who have afflicted me, just remember that what goes around comes around. God bless you all.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, that was the sweetest thing ever! I'm bawling my eyes out! Thanks so much for the update. I'm so happy that you're doing so well, and yes, you have an amazing wife, but the two of you together are beyond amazing. So grateful for modern medicine, and for the peace that prayer brings. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cam, when you read this, don’t think you are hallucinating….. my written English is an hallucination by nature (sorry Krisha…take a deep breath!) …anyway…you know my story and you wrote yours the same way mine went...exactly the same way - from the strange calm to the unbearable feeling - "oh my God, how can I ever give back all this? And now that, thanks to you, I got to experience both side of the story I can really tell you that what people answered to me when I ask that question and what people would answer to you if you ask that question …...it is true have no doubt…
    NOTHING!
    What people wanted and want all along is that you make it through and keep living honoring your life fully enriched by the experience you had. That's really all. I was sick during the holidays too and people flu in from all over to have New Years Eve in my hospital room! …Yeeeee….What can I possibly give back for that..? Life...fully live life...that's the real transformation and the real gift. The beauty of an experience like that is that now you have an empty clean field in front of you and you can create what you really want, it is all yours, a new beginning where thanks to the experience, you will find yourself fearless in front of any internal or external challenge. What can possibly be more challenging than what just happen?
    And after all…, now that it is done you may have the weirdest thought (I do) …something like: “wait it wasn’t really that challenging was it? And indeed, the time will erase more and more the pain but the gifts that the experience brought you will never stop shinning….if you keep them alive….that’s what you want to give back…the gift that you are.
    Now more than ever you are alive, don't let that go unobserved (is that even a word? oh God help this Italian!).
    With admiration and love….for both
    P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much love to you and Krisha, Cam. This was an inspiring read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful expression of gratitude and love. Thanks Cam
    Faith and prayers for you.
    MSC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our dearest Cam,

    I can't stop crying. Just when I thought it was going to be an update on you, you are thinking of everyone else. I am glad you know of all the love surrounding you and I am grateful it eases the pain and discomfort a little. I hope that feeling of peace never goes away.

    We love you!
    cheyney and the whole fam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Cam and Krisha, you two are such a wonderful love story and a class act couple. You are such an inspiration to keep your chins up in all the blows you've been dealt in the past couple of months. Your mom certainly did grow a great crop of children in the ways you all show your love and support to each other. Cam, I hope in a year you can look back on all your pain and it will be a memory. I will continue to pray for you and Debbie to win your battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I'm "unknown" haven't figured out this Blog stuff. Sorry, Carolyn Faivre posted the comment above.

      Delete
  7. This was a beautiful post. Don't change a word.

    What a great tribute to Krisha, but especially to you. You deserved every blessing extended to you during your long ordeal (and even those blessings yet to come!); your gratitude shows this. It takes insight and courage to look at this kind of experience and understand it from the perspective you have shared, and I wish I was there to embrace you both and thank you in person for lifting my burdens, and helping me remember all good things. Aren't our bodies amazing--even when they are so sick.

    I pray that your recovery continues to go well, that you heal quickly and find the new normal! And love to Krisha, your principal support and caretaker, who tends you so well. May you come to the end of this long road and testify, "I don't regret a day."

    ReplyDelete